1. Uptake phase:
2. Elimination phase:
3. Analytical phase:
4. Kinetics calculation phase:
Mechanisms & Methods
- Prepare at least 3 replicate test containers for each sampling time;
- Also include at least 3 replicate control containers, but only for start and end of each phase;
- Sample t=0 organisms from batch of organisms used to start exposures;
- In case of soil-ingesting animals, allow gut voiding using appropriate method;
- In case of plant roots, remove adhering soil particles;
- Store biological samples in freezer and, for metal analysis, freeze dry samples and digest in suitable acid;
- For metal analysis, also analyze suitable certified reference material (soil, biological sample) to check for quality of analysis;
- Calculate uptake rate constant (k1) and elimination rate constant (k2) using suitable model; include C0 in case test organisms already contain background concentration of the test chemical (e.g. metal).
OECD (2010) Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals No. 317: Bioaccumulation in Terrestrial Oligochaetes. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, France.
OECD (2012) Guidelines for the Testing of Chemicals, No. 305: Bioaccumulation in Fish: Aqueous and Dietary Exposure. Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris, France.
Kees van Gestel
Department of Ecological Science
Faculty of Science, Vrije Universiteit